This is one of my favourite recipes that I developed while researching and writing Three Gold Coins. Perfect for these cooling nights!
Tuscan White Bean Soup
1 large leek (or 2 small ones)
2 garlic cloves
1 potato (I use Dutch Cream potatoes all the time, just because I love them the best)
Half a head of cauliflower
1 carrot (optional… it will change the colour of your soup, but it’s a good way to use up vegetables in your crisper!)
2 cans of cannellini beans
4 cups stock (I use lamb bone broth)
Salt and pepper to taste
The leaves of a few sprigs of fresh thyme (just pick them, wash them and use your fingers to strip the sprigs)
2 Tbs lemon juice
Chop all your vegetables.
- Fry your leek and garlic in olive oil under fragrant.
- Add the rest of the your chopped vegetables and mix thoroughly, allowing to cook for a few minutes.
- Add water just to the top of the vegetables and simmer for ten minutes.
- Add your stock and cook for ??
- Allow liquid to reduce a little if it seems to watery, otherwise proceed to blending.
- Blend half your soup until creamy then return to the pot. (Or blend three quarters, or even the whole lot. It depends how you like your soup.)
- Add your salt, pepper, thyme and lemon juice and heat through.
- Serve with sprigs of thyme for garnish and a side of crusty bread